Saturday, August 16, 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It feels strange to have spent so much time wishing for something, for someone, and then one day,to just stop.

There are books that absorb me into a different world as soon as I read the first line or first paragraph. Every time I open this book, I got transported to the world of the Song sisters. It doesn't matter if I'm reading it while eating lunch or while I'm commuting home. I think this is because of the way Jenny Han writes. She's a good storyteller even if the story is as simple as writing letters to likeable boys and them finding out about it.

You'd rather make up a fantasy version of somebody in your head than be with a real person.

I would like to think of myself as a passionate person and throughout the years, I have had a lot of crushes and have fallen infatuated (or in love) with men and boys-pretending-to-be-men. I've been friendzoned or forgotten or probably laughed at because I used to write poetry or send trying-hard-to-be flirty messages. The main character of this book, Lara Jean, reminded me of that side of myself and my experiences while growing up.

This story is funny and focuses not just on the drama of teenage crushes, but also on the love between siblings that even developed more after their mother passed away. It was about taking responsibilities, making life-changing decisions and accepting the consequences even when they smack your right back in the face.

The ending was a bit abrupt for me. Maybe it was because I wanted to know more about what happened to Lara Jean and the boy she chose.

View all my reviews

No comments: