Friday, July 09, 2004

feel no EVIL



About 90% of this entry was written last night at about 10:55 PM at work. I could not concentrate. I was distracted. I did not even care that I was almost 30 minutes late. I'm glad that day is over.

It feels weird when suddenly things you see on TV start happening in real life. I woke up last night and I noticed that there was something wrong. My sister informed me that my brother and mother were in the hospital. Someone punched my brother on his way to the nearest store. I panicked. Suddenly, it felt like my life became a fictional story. Things I never imagined would happen to us did. It made me realize how prone we are to evil in this world.

You see, we live near a community of people with different religion from us (They are non-Catholics). I won't say what religion to prevent any violent reactions. I have nothing against their religion and their beliefs. My family has lived peacefully in this place for about 12 years now. We don't bother anyone and nobody bothered us. Live and let live. Until yesterday.

My brother, as usual, went to the nearest store. He was doing nothing offensive and suddenly, this guy with an amputated left arm stood on his way and punched him. But since my bro is tall, about 5'11", he reached the jaw. My brother is not someone who would get into a fight. So, he backed away. A kid even helped separate them together saying something like "Wag mong anuhin yan, mabait yan!" ("Don't hurt him, he's a good guy!") My brother started to run. Then this other guy approached my brother's direction and punched him on the left eye...

*God, I am soooo angry right now!*

*Breathe in... Breathe out...*

*After a few moments*

My brother is wearing glasses. I mentioned it here before that imperfect vision runs in the family. There was a huge cut above his left eye. He is ok now, thanks to all the people who helped, especially our barangay chairman, the police, and the doctor who examined him in Ospital ng Maynila. I got the second-hand info of the story from my mother who was crying while she was telling my how my brother needed to hold her hand while he got all the shots and tests. My brother is not a violent person. He is quiet. Some girls even descibe him as "mysterious". But he is the one of the sweetest persons I know. Sobrang lambing! He is, like I said, tall and gangly. He has this "rockstar aura" since he is a professional musician (bassist).

Maybe they did not like the way he walked. Maybe they found him "mayabang" since he has this funny walk like he's bouncing with his head held high. But you see, I would not have reacted this way if I knew my brother were an asshole. But he is not. So, I blame them! I blame them and the drugs running through their veins and the shit filling their head. The guy with the amputated left arm tried to commit suicide two years ago. He jumped of a short building and accidentally hooked his left arm to the electricity cable. Such a loser! I wish he died then. That could have lessened the drug addicts in this country.

The safety we felt here at home is no more. There is always this tension everytime one of us goes out of the gate. There is an unspoken rule now not to pass in that area of our community. That means, we have to walk a longer way when we need to go to the mall. It sucks.

I don't know why people resort to violence to cover their insecurities. Maybe they think it's the best solution to their problems. If they think that way, then they better go back to the Stone Age. What's harsh is that the barangay chairman was telling my mother to file a case against them. No one wants to be the witness. You see, all people who saw what happened are in the same religion. I do not know if they're just scared or if that's how "brotherhood" means to them. If that's their sense of brotherhood, to turn a blind eye and ignore what happened, I just hope they find their enlightenment soon.

3 comments:

loryces said...

that sucks!!! sana ok na ang brother mo. kumusta na condition nya? at least the cut is above the eye, not the eye itself. :(

ganyan tlga sa pinas. takot maging witness. katwiran nila baka madamay sila. :( kung ganyan din naman, eh di wala ng nangyari sa pinas. when are we going to stand up against crime? pero pag nag-file naman kayo against the a$$hole, baka balikan naman kayo. :(

take care!

Unknown said...

napa-blotter na. my mom's thinking twice bout filing a case. kasi she wants to do it para makulong sila. but then baka paglabas, balikan family namin. tapos wala pa ngang witness. kung may pera lang ako, i'll send my family home to bacolod or anywhere safe. :(

lifecafe said...

that bites!!

i hope your brother is ok now...
and whatever action you guys decide to do, i hope you all stay safe.