Sunday, January 02, 2011

Mary and Max



"Mary and Max" will always be one of those claymation (clay animation) that has a special place in my heart. I didn't have an idea what this film was about at first. I was attracted to the cover illustration and got more curious when I read the blurb. The movie is about an unusual but long-lasting and meaningful friendship. It all started when an 8-year old girl from Australia had an impulse to write to and a man who has Asperger's Syndrome in New York. Despite the age differences and being continents apart, the characters are rather quite similar in more ways than one. The beginning was light, funny and enjoyable, but as the story goes on, it plot evolves and discusses heavy themes including a psychological eye-opener. The animation was wonderfully crafted. The story is sweet, touching, and heartbreaking. I couldn't help but feel a lump in my throat at the end of it. =)

No comments: