Sunday, February 05, 2012

The Night Circus

The Night CircusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I love a book, I would usually breeze through it and skip on some sentences just to know what happens next. I usually don't llke wordy and overly-descriptive narratives. Well, this book is an exception.

Reading "The Night Circus" made me crave for caramel and apple cider. I can smell the circus just by reading the lines. Sometimes, I wish I wake up and find black and white tents just billowing outside my window. It made me imagine the intricacies of the clocks, the mysterious contents of the tents, the elaborate costumes and the geniuses behind the masterpieces.

The pacing may be a bit slow and the ending abrupt, but the story itself is unexpectedly captivating and heartbreaking. The main characters are well thought of. Most are victims of circumstances. Le Cirque du RĂªves is a world in its own. It's a dream-like prison I do not want to get out of and in it hides a love story that is not unlike "Romeo and Juliet". The entertainment and magic mask the sadness and frustration. A lesson or two can be learned. Read this and rev up your imagination. It will be a pleasant experience.

View all my reviews