Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Outsiders

The OutsidersThe Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Sixteen years on the streets and you can learn a lot.
But all the wrong things, not the things you want to learn.
Sixteen years on the streets and you see a lot.
But all the wrong sights, not the sights you want to see."

Ponyboy Curtis reminds me a bit of Holden Caulfied (of "Catcher in the Rye"), but less cynical and more idealistic. The story revolves around Ponyboy's family and friends who belong to the "Greasers" part of society. They are from the lower class and their social stratum always clashes with the "Socs"-- the rich kids from the West Side. Ponyboy narrates this from a point of view of a 14-year-old kid who has seen too much, experienced too much and was forced to grow up fast. This is the same boy who loves books, clouds and sunsets.

I agree with Rainbow Rowell's review that the narration is just seamless. I can even hear their voices in my head including the accent and the twang.

I'm probably a few years late in reading this book, but I guess a story becomes a classic piece if it's socially-relevant at any given point in time. Big thanks to my friend who recommended this, among many other recommendations. My next step now is to watch the movie. :)

View all my reviews

No comments: