Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Say What You Will

Say What You WillSay What You Will by Cammie McGovern
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

But it's possible to love someone for entirely selfless reasons, for all their flaws and weaknesses, and still not succeed in having them love you back. It's sad, perhaps, but not tragic, unless you dwell forever in the pursuit of their elusive affections.

Like many YA novels, this book has this coming-of-age and teenage-falling-in-love themes. What's unique about this story is that it revolves around two people who have physical and psychological disabilities. They struggle with their states of well-being and, at the same time, face the challenges of making big choices in life.

The first part of the book is very engaging. The characters are endearing with their own flaws that made me like them more. I was not hooked during the latter part of the book though. It felt like it was unnecessarily prolonged and the ending felt abrupt and forced. I was not as touched as I expected. For a book that's being compared to Rainbow Rowell's "Eleanor and Park" and John Green's "The Fault in our Stars", maybe I expected too much.

View all my reviews

No comments: