Monday, April 16, 2012

The Fault in our Stars

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

[WARNING: May contain spoilers]

My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations.

I am still attempting to think as the story replays in my head and I wait for my eyes to un-puff themselves. If someone witnessed my outburst a few minutes ago, they would think I was crazy for sobbing and laughing at the same time. I cannot remember ever reading a book that made me react that way. This is not my regular young adult love story. It is also not the usual coping-with-dying or death plot I am used to. It's funny, witty, endearing and heartbreaking. This book made me feel a myriad of things rolled into one.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel and seventeen-year-old Gus, both terminally ill with cancer, fell in love amidst their battle against human consciousness. Their story is neither mushy nor morbid. They met in a Cancer Kid Support Group, shared their interest for a novel by a reclusive author named Peter Van Houten, and planned a trip to Amsterdam. This charming, sarcastic and intelligent couple are surrounded by supportive parents and a surprisingly goofy friend named Isaac. This story narrates how they found forever within their numbered days.

If you want to know why time is a slut, read this book.
If you want to know how some infinities are bigger than other infinities, read this book.
If you want to know how pain demands to be felt, read this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: