Sunday, December 04, 2011

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, book 1)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have heard pretty good reviews about The Mortal Instruments trilogy, so I was excited to start reading them. The story from the first book is interesting. I can see some influences from The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and Twilight. There was excitement, but it was not consistent and I found myself being dragged throughout the story. I don't know if it is due to the very descriptive writing or the need for more editing. It felt like I was being spoon-fed with information that is redundant or unnecessary. I thought maybe I was just reading a book for really young kids, though I doubt that the plot itself is appropriate for those below seven years old. Besides, I have read a lot of so-called "juvenile" books and they're not overflowing with adjectives. Descriptions are okay to fuel the reader's imagination, but it was just too wordy for me. I got bored. I was also disappointed because I have read "The Very Secret Diaries" (of the Lord of the Rings characters) written by the author (Cassie Clare) a few years back. I compiled, laughed at and loved them all! Maybe I was just expecting too much.

View all my reviews

No comments: