Tuesday, November 29, 2011

One Day

One DayOne Day by David Nicholls
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a sort-of book review but really, below are mostly random thoughts.

I think it's sweet to fall in love with someone you grew up with-- a bestfriend and confidante. I also think that if a woman walks away from you in any situation, but you still want her to stay in your life, always, ALWAYS run after her. I feel that despite all the disappointments in life and all those dreams that didn't come true, there is still someone or something that would make it all worthwhile.

The book made me realize these things. Although the jaded part of me knows a plot like this can only exist in fiction, the romantic part still loves how well-written this story is. I like that Emma and Dexter are both imperfect in their own ways. It makes them easier to relate to. It doesn't matter if you're fresh out of college or middle-aged. Life has its way of making you doubt the direction you're going. It makes you question yourself and your purpose of living. I like the way the book focuses on one specific day (albeit different years) and how it isn't chronologically written. It's true-- the past always finds its way back. Sometimes, to haunt us and make us feel like crap. Sometimes, to make us realize that we know better and we should move on because time will never wait for us.

Lastly, this book made me want to go to Europe. I can still hope. =)

View all my reviews

No comments: