Monday, August 26, 2013

The Spectacular Now

The Spectacular NowThe Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(WARNING: May contain spoilers)
I wanted to finish reading this book because I was curious. They made a movie adaptation of the book and I wonder how they're going to show this on the big screen. They would probably focus more on the romantic comedy part, but this is such a sad story.

The party does not start until Sutter Keely, God's own drunk, is in the house. He's charming and confident. He's a hero and a loser. He's smart and philosophical, but he can be stupid, annoying and selfish. He drowns his life in 7Up and whisky. He's someone I love to hate and I hate to love. He's my ultimate oxymoronic fictional character.

The story can be exhausting but there are unexpectedly funny parts. I was a bit disappointed with the ending. It felt abrupt. Yes, it was realistic but I guess I was really hoping for a happy, fairy tale ending for someone who held this machismo façade, but has really suffered so much.



View all my reviews

No comments: