Wednesday, February 05, 2014

The Golem and the Jinni

The Golem and the JinniThe Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is one of the reasons why I am a fan of fantasy.

It is a tale about a golem and a jinni who found themselves in New York, an ocean away from their place of origin. They pretend to be a part of the community (as a baker and as a metalsmith) until such time wherein they cannot hide their true natures from each other and from other people.

I am shipping Chava (the golem) and Ahmad (the jinni). Take note, this is not a love story. It happened during the 19th century. Usually, stories set during this time will require me to have easy access to a dictionary or a thesaurus. This story is different. This is a smooth read and I couldn't help but turn the pages to see what happens next. The last few chapters of the books can be perfectly described by my sister when she said, "There are surprises in every corner". Indeed, there were. I was a bit sad when book ended. I did not want to let it go.

I remember this quote about weirdness-- finding someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours and falling into a mutual satisfying weirdness called true love. Yes, I really wanted it to be a love story (too much reading of YA romances). This novel is intriguing, beautifully written, delightful and captivating. I can't wait to read more of Helene Wecker's books.



View all my reviews

No comments: