Friday, December 17, 2004

tough luck

If you were here in the Philippines, I bet you've heard all about the recent death of a well-known Filipino actor who also was a presidential candidate during the last national elections. I am not a fan but all I need to do is to turn on the TV to realize he had touched, influenced and helped a lot of people. He had a stroke, was in a coma for a few days and died.


But I don't think people should act as if he were a saint if he lived his life like a hero in their eyes. It's natural for many people to visit him and look in his coffin but I felt weird when I saw someone touch it and made the sign of the cross. I mean, it's a coffin, not a holy statue forgodsakes!


Earlier this morning it was on the news that the mansion of a prominent political figure caught fire and his youngest daughter, who was only 16, died when she was trapped inside the bathroom. The reason for the fire was faulty electrical wires from the Christmas lights displayed along the elegant staircase. Truly a nightmare before Christmas.


Politics does attract tragedy. Also got me to think an advantage of not haviong Christmas decors/lights at home. :)

2 comments:

loryces said...

sabi pa nga daw inofferan ni GMA na ilibing si FPJ sa libingan ng mga bayani eh. helloooo!! and i thought gma can't stoop any lower. guess i was wrong.

Unknown said...

He was considered to be a national artist. Pag approved na yun, pwede na syang ilibing dun, kaya lang hindi naman eh.