Saturday, October 09, 2004

quake!

My shift barely started when I heard our Ops manager shout "Don't panic!" At first I didn't know why. I was standing in front of my workstation ready to take calls and I suddenly fell back on my chair. I had to grab the table in front of me and I thought it was just lack of sleep that was taking it's toll on my balance. But I was mistaken. I saw all things shaking, including me on my chair. I was so dizzy I had to close my eyes and I can still feel being moved without my will.


A few weeks ago, we experienced an earthquake too. I knew deep inside that it will stop, like all other earthquakes I've experienced. That confidence wavered when the shaking became stronger and it lasted for about a couple of minutes. Yes, it was stronger and longer than what we experienced before. After that, I had my dizzy spells again (what I call my "mental aftershocks") for about another minute. It was scary!


I got hold of my mobile and asked my Ma how there were. I also asked him if he was ok. I mean, I was on the 20th floor and we were shaking! I cannot imagine how it would have felt for him to be on the 34th floor at that time.


Yeah, we're ok now. Kinda. We saw each other last Thursday and he treated me out for lunch and a movie. All-expense paid. He looked happy. He talked a lot about his new job. I hated to spoil the moment with me asking him about "the issue" I couldn't get over with. I guess I had to wait for another timing. I can wait. I've been waiting for a lot of things all my life. A little more waiting wouldn't hurt.


It was like the earthquake. Everything was fine after waiting for a while. It was dangerous for a few seconds but when I opened my eyes, everything was the same. It's as if nothing happened. No casualties, no loss as far as my eyes can see. What matters is I'm ok. We're ok. Thank God.

2 comments:

loryces said...

grabe katakot naman! naku musta kaya family ko?

Unknown said...

Lau: I'm sure they're fine. God watches over us.
Liann: Glad we're ok too. :)