Monday, November 15, 2004

connecting people

There have been some friends whom I have not seen for quite sometime now. Last Friday, my normally silent mobile phone was busy when three of them called me one after the other.


The first call was from a friend I haven't seen since his birthday. We just updated ourselves with our lives. As usual he told me he is swearing off dating, but I bet a thousand bucks that he won't last that long and he'll look for another date in no time. I know him well enough to believe he can't live without someone special. He is planning to buy a car of his own from his own earnings. To think my salary is a bit higher than his, he was able to save up for a new car! Good for him he knows how to save and good for him his own earnings go to his own pockets. *sigh*


The second call came from a friend I knew from the previous company I work with. She was asking if I still work there since she wanted to follow up her clearance. I told her I resigned way back last March. She was calling from Cebu! She has a small business there and she moved back to Cebu last year with her daughter. It was nice to hear from her again. What I couldn't forget was the first question she asked me: Are you married already? Hahaha! I told her no and marriage is a something I don't plan to do in the near future. I am enjoying my life now and I don't want to complicate it by getting married.


The third call was the most surprising of all. After almost three years of no communication, a friend from high school told me I am the godmother of her son and she wants me to go to the inaugural party next month. I was flabbergasted! I can even remember the things we used to do in high school. We used to look for cute guys in the campus. Now, she has a child of her own. She went to the U.S. last year when she got pregnant and bore her child there. Now, they're here and she's asking me for a gift for my godson and she had to remind me her baby is not used to local stuff. Haha! I know they can afford that, but now I have to budget my salary again for the gift. I hope I don't have work that day so I could go. To think I don't have any leave credits left since I filed them all for the latter part of December. We'll see.


It just feels weird and nice at the same time to be "reconnected" to their lives. If people remember me only when they need me, I am still thankful because I am still being remembered.

No comments: