Wednesday, April 28, 2004

In sickness and (hopefully) in health

Now, where should I begin?

I'm feeling a bit better now. Better in the sense that I'm finally perspiring, which is good and I'm finally out of bed. I actually am forcing myself to be well, believing "what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve".

I've been bedridden for five days due to fluctuating fever, dizziness and weakness. I've missed two days of work and one of the main reasons I want to be well is that I cannot afford to be sick anymore.

My mother wanted me to go to the hospital but since we don't have money and I don't have a healthcard, I could only afford to go to this clinic near my house. The doctor diagnosed me with Acute Pharyngitis. No cold and hot drinks allowed--- all lukewarm. Nevertheless, everything still tastes bland. But despite the "cheaper" professional fee the doctor charged me, the antibiotics burned and is still burning holes in my pockets. I'll be taking them until the end of the week. If the fever persists, I need to go back for lab tests. Now I'm trying hard to sweat so the fever won't come back. Hopefully, I could report for work tonight.

I missed about two days in "The Purpose-Driven Life" but within the days I am confined to my room, I learned and realized a lot of things. Mothers are, more often than I admit it, right. Like when my mother told me I should give ample time to rest and I believed her and felt so sorry for not following her advice. I didn't tell her my apologies directly but I cried in front of her and that's been a while since that sort of thing happened. (This was the time when I was having chills and a 40-degree temperature). I also realized that the best form of sacrifice and sign of love is "giving time". Time is precious and my family did not deny me that when they gave all their efforts and attention to me when I need them most. I also realize that whatever happens, my family will always be there even if we grow old and we have our own ideas and points of view. The hardest lesson of all is that good health is an underestimated asset. I've always thought I'm invincible in the sense that my immune system won't give in to sickness, but I was wrong. Now I'm paying for that mistake (literally).

So, I'm hoping to start working tonight and not go to the point where I have to spend more because of lab tests or worse, hospital confinement. No more fever please!

I probably have tons of unread emails already so enough of this blogging. Baka mabinat ako. Hehehe!

No comments: