Wednesday, August 18, 2004

crossroads

I only had four hours of sleep yesterday. One of the placement agencies, where I submitted my documents to, called me up and wanted me to fill up about a 30-page form for FCCPT. They told me there was an opening for a physical therapist in New York. I was there, filling up the forms and realizing that it has already been two years since I graduated! There's no turning back now and escaping the real world.

I have to admit I don't think I am ready to practice PT since I haven't learned anything new since college nor treated a patient for about two years now (if you don't count my father who is a diabetic). I went through the fees (in U.S. dollars! My goodness!) and all the requirements I have to meet. I believe I still have a few subjects to take in order for me to practice in the United States (due to different curricula). But I still passed the form. I know it will take about a year of waiting (again!) before anything concrete will arise from that decision. I wonder if this is my chance of making a career of what I learned in school.

But then there is always Plan B. I have been working in the callcenter industry for about a year and a half now. I ended up working there, totally unrelated to my course, because of financial difficulties. I opted to get paid with light work rather than volunteer and overwork. When it dawned to me that I am the only income-generator in the family, I have to make some sacrifices.

That same agency is in need of callcenter agents with at least two years experience for Singapore. Since I am planning to leave my current job next year, it's the right time for me to go to another place instead. For almost thrice the salary I get now, Singapore is not that bad. I can always go home during weekends if my pocket permits! Hahaha!

I got home at 4PM yesterday. Before I went to my much-needed sleep, I just told myself that I applied for PT first and by next year if I still don't have results, I will apply for Singapore, and whichever comes first would be my chosen path. Then I prayed.

3 comments:

loryces said...

hey iba ang crendetialling agency sa new york! did you ask them if fccpt is ok? last time i checked, ny doesnt use fccpt. ask mo yung placement agency mo.

singapore eh? sinusundan mo si ano noh? bwahaha!

good luck! :)

ajay said...

Good luck with your job hunt karen. It's always worth it to be in another country, not to turn your back on the philippines, but to experience a different culture and perspectives.

Unknown said...

ajay: thanks! i've always wanted to travel. but i know i have to earn first and get a stable career. i don't plan to retire in other countries. i just want to save up but i still prefer to settle down here. =)

lau: oy ha! intriga ka! hehe! sabi nila fccpt daw eh. yun ang hinihingi nung employer, doctors united inc. ata.