Monday, August 16, 2004

pure fun

That's what my sister and I experienced right after her "Hell Week" in school and the weekend after my payday. We went to the mall and watched "The Village". In my opinion, it is the best of M. Night Shyamalan's films, even surpassing "Sixth Sense", my favorite horror movie of all time. A lot of people were disappointed when the story's twist was revealed, but not me and my sis. We were talking about the plot explaining to ourselves and connecting all the details and clues shown before that eventful scene when the truth was told.

This 2-hour film kept us on the edge of our seats in the first hour, made the person beside me cry for about 5 minutes, made me teary-eyed and in-love for about 5 minutes as well, made my sister scream for a couple of times, made me knit my browse together for one instance and made us smile and converse in excitement (in whispers of course) for the last 30 minutes. You'll know it's an M. Night creation because of the twist and the music (that violin!) that makes the hair at the back of your neck stand. That movie was no ordinary horror flick! I love the cinematography and the manner they depicted each scene with a picturesque quality-- notice how the actors faces and/or bodies create angles with each other in one scene, how a square window encompass three actors in one scene and a similar scene appears with three other actors in another window. It was theatrical! I was never a Joaquin Phoenix fan, but his first Shyamalan flick "Signs" gave me second thoughts and this movie, made me change my mind. He is a good actor. But I also got to appreciate another talent-- Adrien Brody (from "The Piano") was great in playing Noah! I love his acting. Few words, all body and facial expressions. I know my knowledge of film-making technicalities and jargon is very limited and I am trying to explain this in layman's terms as much as I can. Or better yet, you go watch it and you'll see what I mean. =)

After eating and watching this movie, we strolled around and bought some necessary stuff. I even volunteered to do our groceries and I was stunned by what I had to pay. Our usual groceries that once cost about Php1,500 now cost Php2,500. Prices are way, way high nowadays! Inflation smacked me right in the face and in the pocket! Ouch!

We went home with our feet aching and my body craving for a shut-eye after only 4 hours of sleep the night before. But that was such a happy day! I hope we can do that again soon.

1 comment:

loryces said...

i love the village! o di ba ang ganda! a lot of people, on the other hand, detested it. i guess this is one of those love-it-or-hate-it films. anyway basta ako i sooo like it! i love the movie's concept. i'm also happy that this is not a 'monster' movie. i'm tired of watching monster movies and the village is like a breath of fresh air. galing ni shymalan! ok din yung cinematography, si brody din (sobrang naasar ako sa character nya ha), esp si bryce! basta two thumbs up!