Thursday, August 12, 2004

crying over spilled milk

While we were having our usual life-is-unfair, sex-and-whatnot discussions earlier at work, my friend opened this topic about our previous company giving their employees the incentive that they deserved. You see, it was agreed last year that agents get a percentage of every successful agent-assisted booking-- some sort of commission for the sale. This information was only made available to the employees this year. There was a delay and the reasons why there was a delay vary. Some say it was because the company does not want to give the entire agreed percentage to the employees. Some say they were deciding if they give the commission of those who resigned. Some say that they did not want to give the incentive, but when there was an exodus of resignations, they eventually agreed. I don't know what to believe and honestly, I don't care.

Anyways, my friend mentioned that a person we know got about P29,000 for an entire year's worth of commission. I have to admit, I can just imagine what I should have gotten since I made a lot of bookings for vacation packages, flights and such. It is in US dollars, so you know what I mean. But then it became a big deal because there are lots of people (like me), who got fed up with that company and decided to leave, and of course, we will not be able to get what's due to us. I mean, it is unfair, but at least they gave it to those who are still "suffering" (IMHO) while working in that company.

My friend was ranting about that and the discussion went to a point where we debated. My point was that if sourgraping can make that company change their minds and give us our share, why not? I'll rant 'til exhaustion. But then they won't. So, why add more to our suffering by making us realize what we're missing. I left that company for several reasons. Until now, I never, and I mean NEVER regretted leaving. In fairness to them, I learned a lot there. I do well in my current job because of the training I got. I miss the friends I made. I miss those who made my stay there fun. I miss the pantry and free coffee. I miss the dress-down policy. But I am in another chapter of my life now. Thinking all the what-could-have-been's and what-if's is like crying over spilled milk.

1 comment:

loryces said...

tama yan! dont blame yourself for the decision you made about leaving. at least you had the honesty to do what's best for you. i don't see anything wrong with that. ;)