Monday, September 27, 2004

Blue fever


Ant, Si, Dunc, Lee
taken from Blue's Official Website


I have to say that last Saturday was the highlight of my week and probably the highlight of my month!


My sister, my friend Ayn and I met up at about 5PM last Saturday. Concert starts 8:30PM but I know it would be better to get there early especially since we're on Upper Box and it's free seating. We passed by a nearby mall, gulped our pizza and drinks, then went inside. I must say, the crowd was unexpectedly small. Maybe because there was not much promotion in the local TV stations. The concert officially started a little past 9PM. The opening act was Derek McDonald, this Scottish, Ricky-Martin look-alike. (I promise I'll post my pics once I have them developed). He sang these familiar songs I recently hear being played on the airwaves-- Hurts So Bad, Nobody Knows, Alone Again.



taken from Derek McDonald's Official Website


Cameras were not allowed, but then I am used to these Westlife concerts that I know how to bend and break some rules. Hehehe! If I only have the finances, I would have bought the front seats for my sis and me. I mean, since the boyband era is fast disappearing and this may be Blue's last concert as a group (I certainly hope not, but I gotta face the truth), it would have been cool if I was there in front of the lads taking their pictures up close and if I were lucky, touched Lee's hand or got Ant's wet towel. Rawr! But then those are just wishful thinking. I was broke and I could only afford the Upper Box seats and I bet my Blue pics are so tiny that I would only get a clear view of their faces because of the wide screen behind them. :(


Another thing that made me wish I was there up front was that Blue is very friendly when it comes to pleasing their fans. They won't let a fan down. I mean, there are these security protocols they have to follow so they won't get hurt but unlike other concerts I watched, they were there to mingle with fans! They (literally) reach out to ordinary people! Lee even went down the stage to get this girl so they can sing her The Birthday Song in a capella and they even gave her a kiss each. If that girl was me, I'd probably die up that stage happy. Before they sang "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word", Dunc gave this short speech about them cancelling their concert last year due to personal reasons. Then he said "We're really sorry, Manila!" One act I can't forget was when Simon rapped this poem he wrote for the fans. It was touching. You'd know that they are not forgetting they're also ordinary people living extraordinary lives. That without the fans, they won't be up on stage performing. *sigh*


I nearly lost my voice shouting and singing along with their songs. Too bad I didn't lose it completely. I would have had an excuse of not going to work due to voice problems. Hahaha! This guy (please see picture below) never let me down. He's my fave because he's got this great voice and he's not a snob. Lee's voice never faltered. He was still able to reach high pitches despite the fact that he is dancing at the same time. Really great performance! My second fave is Simon since he has this genuine smile for fans he meet. I remember about two years ago when they had autograph signing in Megamall (and Lee was sick so he couldn't fly here), Simon was the one who always looked up to a fan and said "Hi!" then smiled. When they went to Dish, I called Simon's name, he had to look back, wave and smile. Those small gestures mean a huge deal to fans like me! :)



Lee! My man! :)


I must admit, of all the live concerts I watched, Blue was one of those who sound good live, even better than recorded. Not to mention they look oh-so-good too with their sweaty shirts and all! :p

2 comments:

Ava said...

My voice is still hoarse from last Saturday's concert... Sana maulit uli! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

Unknown said...

PHW: sana may next time pa.

Liann: love that song too! :)