Sunday, September 05, 2004

The Notebook

My Ma and sis watched the movie last night. My Ma was disappointed since she recently reread the book and found the deviations from the book not that tearjerking as expected. The movie was fine in my opinion although I like the part better with the older Noah and Allie scenes (with James Garner and Gene Rowlands). Probably because I did not really like the portrayal of the younger Allie (played by Rachel McAdams) and the Noah (played by Ryan Gosling) is a different kind of Noah in the book. There was no intensity in his personality as the book Noah would have. (I know since I opened the book last night and I started reading it again). I also did not like the part when the lovers reunited and Allie was like a sex-hungry woman instead of a lovesick girl. It looks as if she was only looking for sex with Noah after all these years!


I was looking forward to the second breakup scene, when Allie cannot decide if she were to go back to Lon or remain with Noah. That was before the reading of the letters. That was one of the memorable scenes in the book. But that scene in the movie was like a comedy with Noah trying to say some witty and funny quips. I don't think they had chemistry in that scene. But there are some instances when the audience had to make a loud sigh especially during that lake scene with all the swans around. That was beautiful!


But then again, maybe I am more of a Lon (played by James Marsden) fan. He was the most pityful character of all. Despite that, I did cry on that scene when the older Noah cried as the older Allie again forgets herself after "one miraculous moment" after their dinner.


Funny thing was, if you look closer, Rachel McAdams looks like a more mature Matet (a local young actress and adopted daughter of Nora Aunor) and Ryan Gosling looks like a younger Matt Ranillo III (another local actor). We were actually laughing at the resemblance and kept joking that if it were a Pinoy movie, the title could have been "Matt and Matet: Happy Together". Hahaha! I also mentioned to my sis that the younger Ryan Gosling (no beard) can play a part of an older Draco Malfoy (from "Harry Potter") and the older Ryan Gosling (with beard) can play a part of Jesus Christ. Hahaha!


All in all, the movie can still tug the heartstrings of those who have not read the book. In my case though, I still prefer rereading Nicholas Sparks's "The Notebook" anytime than watching this movie again.

4 comments:

Ava said...

I prefer "Draco and Matet:Worlds Apart"

Sosyal! ehehehe!

ajay said...

Yes Karen, i think merong something na missing sa movie..parang kulang sa intensity/chemistry sina ryan and rachel. Lon's was better..my loyalty has shifted from ryan to james marsden,haha..he's soo cute

Unknown said...

PHW: Hahaha! Nyeh!

Ajay: Right. Wala nga silang chemistry. I have to say James Marsden is more my type than Ryan Gosling, although Ryan is handsome in his own ways. :)

loryces said...

i didn't like it either. kung wala lang dun si ryan gosling, siguro na-diss ko na yung movie na yun hehe. i heart ryan gosling!!! :D