Wednesday, February 16, 2005

UP Fairster2

It's been about 5 years since I graduated from the university but attending the UP fair has always been fun for me.


My sister and I went to UP Diliman to watch Fairster2, thanks to an officemate who is a member of the UP Portia Sorority (College of Law). Good thing I was on leave last night and my sister has no classes today. It was fun despite only seeing a couple of familiar faces there. We went there in spite of my brother's warnings of people doing drugs during concert and a possibility of fistfights. I am such a boring person so I guess that made it more exciting.


We watched several Filipino bands play on stage. Most of the amateurs played in the beginning of the program so my sis and I just ate our dinner, which consisted of a very unhealthy but delicious slice of pizza and free iced tea, as we sat in the middle of the Sunken Garden. There were lots of food, live music that was broadcasted live on the air via a local radio station. I was so full I did not have the guts (pun intended) to take rides or go wallclimbing.



sitting in the middle of Sunken Garden



We were actually waiting for a few well-known bands to play before we go home. I was informed that the program could go well past 4AM. People sitting on the grounds stood up when Mayonnaise performed. We were really enjoying the music by then. After that Brownman Revival did five songs. Reggae music made us both sway with the crowd (not to mention that I've always found the guitarist/backup vocals cute. Hehehe!) I know (fan)girls were actually screaming because the lead vocals looked so fine but I can't help but look at the background and notice a few people beyond the spotlight.


RiverMaya is a one of the bands that influenced my brother (who now plays bass in his own band) and I must admit that I began to appreciate Pinoy rock music through them (and Eraserheads). That was the time when both Ely Buendia and Bamboo MaƱalac were still lead singers of those bands. This was actually the first time that I saw them perform live with Rico Blanco as lead vocals. I know Rico is a very talented musician since he composes most of their songs but I was kinda curious what Rivermaya would sound like without Bamboo. I was not disappointed.



ang bagong Rivermaya
(from of inq7.net)



Rico kept the intensity and he knew how to handle an audience. Sure, there was a fistfight in the middle of their performance but since we were about a meter from the stage, we didn't care. They were not UP students anyway. Hihi! People were dancing and shouting and singing and body-slamming. That's what I miss about concerts.


Since I am not keen into looking at the spotlight, I also noticed this cute guy in the background. I used to like their drummer Mark Escueta, who is shy and all that. But this new bassist, Japs Sergio, really looks cute! Yes, even with the sweaty face. *blushes*



Japs Sergio, bassist
(from photos.philmusic.com)



I wish I could experience more of that. With work and all, I miss having fun.

No comments: