Monday, March 07, 2005

Insecurity

(n.) : a feeling of apprehensiveness and uncertainty
: lack of assurance or stability






The first time I learned the meaning of this term was when I read my mother's letter to my father. I was 11 years old then and we were living in Bacolod City while my mother worked here in Manila. She described me as "insecure" that's why she told my father to understand my situation more. Being the ugly duckling that I was, the oldest of three and being without a mother during my adolescent years, it is not surprising that I have that insecurity. At that time, my parents wanted me to maintain my academic honors, but since our financial status went way, way low during those years, I entered my semi-rebellious stage and graduated as second honorable mention-- a far-cry from their expectations for me.


At my age right now and with the achievements I had, I should have gotten over that insecurity already. But no. Just last night, I realized I still have that insecurity when it comes to my relationship with other people, especially with him. I told myself I'd be honest and face my fear and what I ended up doing is confronting and accusing a totally honest person. He said I am over-criticizing myself. Yes, I hurt him and I hurt myself in the process. I felt embarrassed and sorry for what I did.


If there is a medication for insecurity, I'd gladly take them.

No comments: