Monday, May 28, 2007

Wonderful Weekend

scribbled on 27 May 2007 | 11:25 PM


Pirate Con | Big Sky Mind
I just had a long and fun weekend. I was on leave last Friday to join some of my friends from NWA for the Pirates Con. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" was funny. The effects and costumes were great as expected. I think it was just a tad too long. There were scenes that, I think, aren't really necessary. I guess watching Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom made it worthwhile. Hehe! Watching the movie with friends from NWA (including Black Pearl Philippines) made it extra special. There were probably 3 rows reserved for us and some were even in costume. That was cool!


I missed a couple of Pirate events before that so I told myself I had to be there. After the movies, we went to Big Sky Mind to listen to some groovy, old-school music, chat with more friends from the geeky circle and drink rum! Well, not really for me because I have been awake for almost 30 hours and I had to settle for strong iced coffee instead. Still, my sister and I had fun. (Pardon my squinting during photo ops, Gabe. I was temporarily blinded by those flashes. Haha!) The movie and the gathering were courtesy of Karen Kunawicz. Thank you very much and belated Happy Birthday! :)


We waited for The Luscious Malfoys to play live and danced to their music. Thanks for being such a sport and singing some of our requests. It was a natural high. We got home at half past 3 in the morning and my mother was ready to disown us. Yo ho! Yo ho!





[Pictures here.]
[Nick's photos here.]
[Gabe's photos here.]


The Philippine Tolkien Society Moot
That didn't stop us from going to the moot last Saturday. TPTS had one more moot before Laurice flies back to the States. My sis and I had to drop by and see some Tolkien friends before we had to run some errands. It was nice chatting over coffee again and seeing familiar faces that I haven't seen for a long time. We had to skip dinner though because my sis and I had some errands to do.





[Pictures here.]


Dinner with College Friends
Today, I met up with Laurice and Joy at Gateway Mall-- the same place where we first met up about 3 weeks ago when Laurice arrived from the States. We're having our dinner together. Too bad Joan couldn't make it was she is confined in a hospital in Batangas. We made it a point to call her instead. Hopefully, we can get together again next year. We ate at Ten Tita's and food was delicious but parting is such sweet sorrow. Laurice left early to pack up her stuff.


Joy and I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to drop by Timezone to let out some pent-up feelings. We just had to sing. They have these videoke booths where we can sing our hearts out. We chose sentimental songs usually about heartaches and such, but our final song was "I Will Survive" and it is still playing in my head now. I wish Laurice could've joined us. I still had fun.


Laurice is leaving for the States (NOTE: probably boarding right this moment as I type this). It has been 5 years since we last saw each other but the friendship remained strong. We may not be complete again but we are looking forward to the next time. For the past 3 weeks, I found myself seeing my college barkada every chance I get. I was on leave from work for several days thinking that this occasion calls for that. Besides, it's not everyday that we see each other as often as we like. I was almost always not at home on weekends and my mother probably disowned me already, but it was all worth it.


Back to the Rat Race
I will be back to my old routine: work and home, home and work. I'm actually feeling lonelier now and starting to have those "emo moments" I've been dreading when I'm alone (like a while ago when I was riding a cab home and the background music stirred up some memories). As much as I would always want to surround myself with people, I can't help but long for alone time. I guess it's ok to cry once in a while.


The past 3 weeks had been great. Thanks to my sister and my friends. Like the song in my head goes: As long as I know how to love, I know I'll be alive... It's time to face life once again.

No comments: