Sunday, July 20, 2003

Balangiga 1901

I watched Balangiga Rocks! Concert with my friend. I am at work right now and I have an 8-hour shift ahead of me but that's okay.

I was glad I went to the concert. It's a different kind of feel since it was a concert for a cause. It's like a cultural commemoration of what transpired in 1901 in Philippine history. There are a lot of Filipino artists, some are even Fil-Am who came from the States (San Francisco).

The stage was cool. The lights and special effects were awesome. I mean, I have seen smoke on stage but this time, there was fire in front of the singers. As in wild flames dancing with the music. I think a lot of people watching were from my school also (State U: Peyups). What's nice about it was most of the songs were modern in tune but they were using native instruments such as the banduria and kulintang (Sir Esguerra!!! I just remembered my eccentric college professor). There were bands that I never heard of before but performed well: Mahal and Friends, Bobby Banduria Band, Campo Xanto, The Jerks... but there were knowns artists too such as Joey Ayala, Cynthia Alexander, Radioactive Sago Project, Pan (former Yano), Color It Red (my friend drooled over Cookie Chua. Hahahaha!), Fatal Posporos and of course, our fave, Noel Cabangon.

Noel sang only a few songs even if the audience was asking for more. He never failed to give me goosebumps whenever I hear his voice. Last time I saw him perform was in 70's Bistro with 2 bottles of SanMig Light in front of me.

Thanks Joy!

No comments: