Wednesday, June 02, 2004

The Boy Who Lived Again (and Again)


A Personal Movie Review Posted by Hello


One thing I noticed after watching this movie for the first time: Alfonso Cuaron has a flair for the dramatic.

There's drama in the way nature was shown around Hogwarts. I can see that Hogwarts was "relocated" in this movie-- fresh air, lakes, mountains and trees all around. Hogwarts also had a few makeovers. The castle looks more brooding and mysterious, more worn out by time. I love the addition of the huge clock as well. Even the Whomping Willow looks more elegant in this movie. The scene transitions were dreamy-- the way the camera zooms on the actor's face then slowly darkness encircles it until the whole screen is pitch black. Then voices can be heard in the background and it opens to another scene.

The effects were cool. Although I know that dementors do not fly, they glide, but their movements were creepy. (I learned those were shot underwater to make the movements fluid-like). Buckbeak was regal as well. I was expecting more hippogriffs, but then that'll do. The inside of the knight bus was not exactly what I imagined it to be. The hairless werewolf was not that scary. Judging from the scene when he caught Harry with the Marauder's Map, Professor Snape is still scarier. The patronus charm was shown like a shining shield and I've always thought Harry's would always be in the form of a stag. How disappointing. But then the Marauder's Map was more than I imagined! Adding the "walking shoeprints" made it more animated than seeing a dot moving.

By the way, why didn't Harry ask anyone who the heck are Moony, Padfoot, Prongs and Wormtail?

This time, more emphasis was given to "the others" of the story. I would like it more if they give some more time to the human characters. For example, I noticed the Whomping Willow had more screen time than Ginny Weasley and Percy Weasley combined. I can remember more scenes with The Fat Lady in it than scenes with Professor McGonagall. I mean, they do have their roles right?

I also missed the Dumbledore-Harry sharing and lesson-learning moments. In the movie, I can rarely see them together. It seems like RJ Lupin got that role as "Harry's adviser".

As expected, not everything from the book can be cramped in a 2 and a half hour movie. Nevertheless, it was still fast-paced. It's like skipping from one chapter to another. But I'm pretty sure non-book readers would enjoy the movie as well as understand the story.

Emma Thompson as Professor Trelawny was good. I've always thought Emma is too pretty to become Trelawny, but they did a great job. ;)

Gary Oldman is not the handsome and arrogant Sirius Black that I imagined. I know he just came from Azkaban, but even if he's wearing a clean suit and all, physically he's not Siruis Black for me. But the acting, well, that's a different matter. Gary Oldman is Gary Oldman. No doubt about that. RJ Lupin kinda reminded me of this Filipino senator... Hahaha! But he did well on his role. :)

Michael Gambon as the new and younger Dumbledore played his role well. He is still the same "playful" and well-respected headmaster. I did not miss Richard Harris that much since they do sound alike too! :)

Lastly, I would like to give the "kids" a pat in the back for a job well done. No more flowing Hogwarts and Quidditch robes for them. (Hey, where can I buy that maroon shirt with "Potter 07" at the back?) Although they're not as kiddies as they used to look (oh they grow up so fast!), they're still the same characters I've grown comfortable with. Ron is actually funnier than before even without giving much effort. Hermione is still the same witty girl, I mean, young lady. Dudley, Neville and Crabbe grew thinner probably since they grew taller. I'm sure a lot of you would admit that Harry is turning into one head-turner, heart-melter hero who always gets to live at the end of every book (so far). ;)

Did you notice that everytime there is an installment of Harry Potter book, it gets thicker since there are more pages and the story gets more complicated and more suited for adults?

Two thumbs up to the director, Alfonso Cuaron for incorporating those creepy talking heads, dramatic sceneries and soothing choir music to turn this once-kiddie movie to something that the author, JK Rowling, would want to become.

1 comment:

loryces said...

can't wait! ;) excited na ko! 2 days na lang dito! woohoo!