Tuesday, June 15, 2004

zombie


Another head hangs lowly, child is slowly taken
And the violence caused such silence
Who are we mistaken
~ Cranberries, "Zombie"


I was walking from our office building this morning. Only with Php105.50 in my pocket. It's the last of my well-earned cash. Life's not good these days (years?), financially speaking. I went to the post office to mail a letter to a good friend on the other side of the planet (so sorry late na!) I gave the teller my last hundred and she said, "Ay miss, wala akong barya eh!" (Lau, maybe tomorrow, ok?)

Wiping the sweat on my neck, I cursed my work schedule. I have been taking calls from 9PM last night until 8AM this morning. My throat was hoarse. I would love an icy glass of water but I don't want to lose my voice, which is my only source of income as of now. Like a vampire, I was also irritated by the heat. It's getting hotter by the minute and I was used to going home by 7AM when the sun's rays are not that painful.

My head was throbbing. I lacked sleep.

I was looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. Then I thought of getting my pay after my shift later and that seems to brighten things up.

One of the things that never fails to amaze me is when I walk and think at the same time, I won't realize how far I've walked until something or someone or I, myself, will get me back to reality. I might smile or frown without knowing it.

Anyways, I was nearing the jeepney terminal, which is about 3 blocks away from where I work. Automatically, I reached for my purse, gave my guy in front of me my Php5.00, then fumbled for a peso coin from his palm. Then he told me, "Miss, Php5.50 na po ang bayad." I said, "Ay, sorry po!" There goes my Php5.50! Let's see how far my remaining Php100.00 go.

I realized that most of the news I see on TV directly affects me as a person. That's what I get for living a zombie's life.

1 comment:

loryces said...

P5.50?! is that the standard fare? ang mahal na! nung pag-alis ko, P2.50 pa ah. oh wow. btw ok lang noh! don't rush. :) i love waiting anyway. it's good, having this anticipation. ingat ka ok?