Thursday, July 08, 2004

Chasing Butterflies

Another friend posted this in Friendster. I could have written it from my heart. I do not know the writer. To whoever wrote this, thank you for understanding how I feel.


art by Jilly Royle

Chasing Butterflies

Finally, I've caught it. The elusive butterfly I've been dying to catch since I was old enough to know the meaning of the word 'belong.'

My butterfly. Yes, it is truly mine. I've finally found the love of my life.

I've always equated chasing love to chasing butterflies. It's not easy to catch a butterfly because of its elusiveness. One would spend hours, even days, of chasing one before succeeding or giving up. Just like what I did for love.

I've been in love so many times before yet I never found someone who really stayed. They all went away after a few months or so, leaving me behind with a broken heart and broken wings. Many times I tried to quit, many times I failed and ended up getting my heart broken again and again. The elusive butterfly flying, always flying away from my reach.

Until he came along.

He came when I was busy chasing after someone whom I thought would give me wings to fly and soar through the clouds. I was the butterfly he chased but who never gave him the chance to catch up. He was not my type, that's why. My butterfly then was all I could see and think of.

But God has a funny way of helping me see things clearly. First, He took away the butterfly I was busily chasing from me. I was devastated and heart broken. But that's when I began to notice him for the first time. He was not that bad after all.

At first, I thought he was not a good catch. We were total opposites. I like guys who write or draw or paint, he doesn't even know how to draw a straight line. (I like guys who write me poems, he doesn't even write me one-liners.)* I love guys who lavish me with gifts, he thinks gifts are a waste of money. I love saying "mahal kita" every chance I get, he thinks that is cheesy. I thought it was a mistake to be with him. I thought he was not worth it. But when I begin to dig deeper, I discovered a hidden treasure.

He loves me.

Suddenly, he metamorphosed into a beautiful butterfly right before my eyes. The caterpillar I once knew and thought would never come to love has turned into a wonderful butterfly. And the best part is, he is mine.

Once, chasing a butterfly had brought me immense pain that I thought I would never have the courage to chase another again. But he changed my heart. He made me believe chasing butterflies doesn't bring sadness or sorrow, only joy and love. He made it such a great and noble task because he didn't let me do the chase. He was the one who did the chase. For me.


----------
*I have to insert this line. This part, I wrote myself. :)

3 comments:

loryces said...

ingat nga lang. baka moths or poisonous butterflies ang makuha mo hehe. ;)

Unknown said...

kung magkamali man ako sa makukuha ko, eh di pakawalan. let it fly! :p

loryces said...

sabagay. you wouldn't know the real deal if you don't allow yourself to commit mistakes or errors. ;)