Thursday, July 08, 2004

nine to sixteen

If I were to choose the laziest of all my lazy days at work, this would be it. I won't bother to rant about it anymore. Let me just continue with my list...

24 Things I Am Grateful For:

(Things 9-16)

9. My Senses. Although I don't have a perfect vision (it runs in the family), I am glad of the fact that I can still appreciate beauty, rhythm, fragrance, texture and taste in every sense of each word.

10. My Home. This run-down apartment that we do not even own served as my home for the past 12 years of my life. I am thankful for the comfort it brings, for the familiar smells, sights, sounds and the safety it provides.

11. My Education. I am a product of mixed educational backgrounds. Seven years Chinese, another seven years Catholic and four years as Iskolar ng Bayan. I had a lot of options before but my road seemed to lead me this way and I am proud to learn what I needed to learn from these institutions.

12. My Teachers. This spot is for all the Sirs, Ma'ams, Misses, Sensei's who influenced me to become who I am today, whether they taught me the right things (so I can do them), who taught me the wrong things (so I'll know when NOT to do them. Hehehe!) and who taught me nothing (so I got to learn from myself).

14. My Crushes. These are the "butterflies" I chased. From guy I liked when I was seven or this seatmate I had in Grade 4 or this High School hottie who dance so well or just the boy next door, they are whom I call my "kiddie crushes". Or maybe this guy whom I think I already fell in love with for four years but who never knew I existed or this guy who just made fun of my feelings or this someone who never would appreciate me as a female entity, they are whom I call "the heart-breakers". How about Orlando Bloom, Mark Feehily, Sean Biggerstaff, Michael Buble, Eric Bana, Ewan McGregor, Tobey Maguire, etc. etc., they are whom I call "the princes charming" (because they exist in fairy tales). They are the ones who made me realize how it felt to have shivers down my spine, how it felt to swoon and daydream and be inspired to write poems and songs, and how it felt to get hurt and fall and stand up again.

15. Nature. I may not always be at one with them but I'm glad they are always a part of my everyday existence, like the smell of the sea by the Bay Area, or the chirping of the birds just outside my window or the colors of my mother's plants and flowers at home or just the feeding my pet turtle.

16. Technology. I cannot imagine my life now without the internet, cable TV, cellphone, telephone, electricity, running water, man-made transportation, airconditioners, electric fans, clocks, etc. etc., can you?

No comments: