Wednesday, July 07, 2004

one to eight

Lazy Wednesday again. Another day. Same routine. As Stephen King wrote in "Dreamcatcher", Same shit. Different day. It should be another ordinary day for me, but when I really come to think of it, in three days' time, I'll be turning a year older. Is being 24 different from 23? Or is it just a number of the imaginary candles on an imaginary cake? What do I need to write about that would make this day stand out from other days? I sure am not writing anything about work coz I don't want to ruin the moment. I need to think of 24 things... how about 24 things I wish for on my birthday? Nah. 24 is too small a number. Hahaha!

I know. Here goes:

24 Things I Am Grateful For:

(Things 1-8)

1. My family. That despite my imperfections, they love and will always love me. That despite the sometimes rocky relationships between family members, we are still together.

2. My relatives. Though I do not see them often and though some do not even support me and my endeavors, I know they try their best. Probably their best may not be enough for me, but I'm glad they make an effort. That though some may only remember me when they need something, at least they still remember me (even if at times I just don't want to be remembered).

3. My job. Though I don't think it is my calling and I get so bored and irritated with it at times, at least it places food on our table and helps my sister finish college.

4. My friends. Though most of them I terribly miss and some of them do not even know what is going on in my life now, I believe that when I need them, they will be there for me. They may not be there always, since we all have our own lives and careers that keep us busy, I know they still consider me special.

5. My health. I know how tough it feels not to be in a healthy condition. I also know how expensive it is to get sick. I am thankful that despite my "few extra pounds" (Hehehe!), at least I don't need to go to the hospital and suffer.

6. My Lisse. I don't think I will survive this "quarter-life crisis" without him. I am thankful that he never gave up on me, despite all the moodswings and fickle-mindedness and rants...

7. My hobbies. Though I cannot afford a lot of things I want to do or have, I still get to enjoy some things I like-- such as watching movies when I want to, or reading a book I enjoy, or collecting CD's of my fave artist, or surfing the net using my "ancient" PC or just hanging out with my Tolkien pals, or simply window-shopping in the mall.

8. My freedom. (In expressing myself). I am grateful that someone listens when I speak, someone reads the stories I write, someone shares or contradicts my opinions, someone wants to spend time with me, someone is willing to exchange letters/emails with me, someone tries my suggestions, someone gets influenced by me, someone gets emotionally affected by me, someone thinks I'm crazy, someone thinks I'm nice, or someone simply wants to talk to me or be with me.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: