Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Aztec Gold?

I had a few experiences today that made me remember something that Captain Jack Sparrow (from "Pirates of the Caribbean") said about treasures and greed. The thought goes something like "When it comes to money, even honest people turn bad".

I arrived home and my parents told me that our landlord is demanding our monthly rent again. Actually, it would be two months on the 20th but still I don't know what prompted them to send a warning letter for us to pay the whole two months even if we only missed a month's worth of payment as of now. I dunno what to do with since I'm not earning big bucks but I may know why my parents told me that. They want me to find another way to "get" the money. Yes, borrow (again) and I don't think I have the face and the guts to do that anymore. I have savings so I can pay my previous debts (I really am uncomfortable when I have financial debts) but that is the most I can offer them. I told them, no I cannot borrow anymore and I know my savings are not enough but I hope they'll settle with that.

My mother told me that the landlord is actually eyeing our home PC (which is worth more than our unpaid rent) that's why they are demanding. I am not familiar with legal issues but since we already stayed in that apartment for almost ten years now, aren't we supposed to have like a "grace period" if we are not able to pay the rent on time? Right?

I went to work with a heavy feeling inside. I never got to enjoy the company of my cousin, who is staying with us right now, due to my weird and anti-social schedule. My daily transportation to work is a cab since there are no more jeepneys taking my route after 9PM (and my work starts 10PM) and it's too far and dangerous for me to walk to work. So I take a cab and I usually pay P40 and below. Since I know better I usually bring the exact fare, but it just so happened that today (of all days) I only have P100 (that's my budget for the day). I was supposed to pay P39 and I was expecting him to give me back P60. He gave me P50 instead telling me he doesn't have change. Well, I just slammed the car door. I don't want to waste my time and saliva lecturing him that he is not the only person who is in need of money. But I think he's old enough to realize that. P10? Big deal? Yes, big deal. It's P10 off my budget. It will affect the kind of food I'm going to buy during my break tonight.

Tsk tsk!

No comments: