Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Breaking Walls

Sometimes when you want a person to change, a bad habit for example, it's not good to always notice and make that person face all the negative things he has done. Sometimes, the key is to focus on that person's good side and see what happens.

I just wanted to be sincere. I knew he was having difficulties adjusting his life. I knew he is aware of what he did wrong and I knew he is sorry for that. But he can't seem to set his priorities straight. I told him he should know what's important and what means a lot to him.

I was mad at him yesterday. So what I did was enumerate all his weaknesses and all the hurt that he has caused. I just wanted him to know what he's doing. Then he told me he's sorry. But we've been there before. He's sorry. Then what? He'll end up doing it again.

Like I said, I just wanted to be honest. Maybe the tactic was not to show his face all the negative things he did. Without knowing it at first, I made him realize that he is a good man. Maybe not all people know him as I do. Maybe not all people found something in him that is worth taking a risk for. People can change if they want to. It's all about making wise decisions.

It was just an honest-to-goodness, heartfelt compliment he may never have heard before from anyone in his life. But it brought tears to his eyes. Then I knew, I tugged a string in his heart. And I'm glad.

No comments: