Wednesday, June 15, 2005

YaP!

Yan ang Pinay!
logo by Jonas Diego



For the past couple of days, I have been thinking of an article that would best descibe a Filipina (or Pinays, as we are also called). Until now, I can't think of anything fantastic to write. My Muse maybe in hibernation.


A friend has introduced me to the Yan ang Pinay! movement (YaP!) to help improve the image of Filipinas worldwide. I heard once that there was this dictionary wherein one can find "domestic helper" under the entry Filipina. Now if one tries online search engines like Yahoo!, Google, MSN or even Yehey, you'll get results like mail-to-order brides and adult entertainment-related sites. Well, I have nothing but pride for Filipinas going to faraway places to work. My mother could have been a domestic helper herself if she was not able to find a job here in Manila. But we're not just that.


Earlier at work, I was jotting some characteristics of a Filipina I admire the most. I can't help but think of my mother. Although we're not always in the best of terms, I guess it's just a daughter's instinct to look up to one's mother. The number one reason I can think of is that Filipinas would do anything, sacrifice their dreams and even themselves, to provide for their family. The family is often, if not always, the highest priority. They value kinship over anything else. Filipinas are also strong by nature. They can be placed in different places, mingle with different cultures and adapt and still maintain the their individuality.


So, blog-writers out there, write something for Pinays! To know more about this click this link or visit Fabulous Filipinas and New Filipina.

3 comments:

jonasdiego said...

Thanks for helping in the cause. It is very much appreciated. :)

Unknown said...

JD: anytime. :)

loryces said...

go pinays! :D