Sunday, January 26, 2003

To The Extremes

I just met half of the day today. In other words, I was asleep the whole morning. Yes, I'm trying to let myself get used to my 3pm to 12 midnight shift next week, but the main reason why I was asleep for a long time was yesterday.

Saturdays are supposed to be my rest days during the past few weeks, but I had to go to work and take the exam. We were there for almost six hours. My eyes were strained due to being in front of the PC for a so long. But glad I passed the third exam. One exam left before I take actual calls two weeks from now.

We decided to watch a movie after that. "One Hour Photo" in G4. I was with a friend since some of my officemates were either too tired, too sleepy or too skeptical about the film. Someone said it's dragging, but then the movie buff in me always believed that I have to watch the movie first before I form my own opinion about it. Besides, the poster was saying "It's Robin Williams' best performance yet..." and I've always admired the actor.

I must say that it was not a feel-good-after-the-exam movie. It's one of those that creates a heavy feeling in me. A movie that will just disturb my mind and make me think and analyze. I loved it. It was simple and not dragging at all since the story was so unpredicatable. My friend and I kept on guessing what would happen next. Most importantly, it had a lesson to tell. We were supposed to eat after the movie but my mom beckons. So, amidst all the bright lights, tempting stores and happy-looking people around me, I had to head for home.

I just placed my bag on the bed and we left again. This time, my parents and I went to Luneta (Rizal Park) to bring stuff needed by my sister. She was having her overnight there (a requirement from her Catholic high school), together with thousands of other people to celebrate the Fourth World Meeting of Families. My family loves the Pope. My father saw His Holiness when he last went here on World Youth Day. It's sad since I wasn't able to see him. But my mom told me that I already saw him when he and Imelda Marcos went to Bacolod City (my place of birth) and I was just seven months old then. She said that my dad held me up as he blessed the people. I think in more ways than one, I am blessed.

As expected, it was crowded and not that fancy compared to the mall I've been too. But I like the feeling of being in a historical event, with people gathering together for a common cause. People from all walks of life were there-- the rich, the poor and the people in between. There were a lot of volunteer students, policemen and medics. It was a nice feeling-- a combination of vulnerability but comfort at the same time. I just hated the moment when a group of young hippies were lined in front of us in the entrance and they were blowing out their filthy smoke on us, the volunteers and other people in line. This one volunteer just covered her nose. My dad (a former smoker himself) told him to put out his cigarette, but the guy in front of me wont listen. Since I easily get irritated with cigarette smoke, I told him, "Kung gusto mong mag-yosi, lunukin mo ang usok mo at wag mo kaming idamay kung gusto mong magpakamatay." (If you want to smoke a cigarette, swallow your smoke and don't involve us if you wanna kill yourself.) He put out his cigarette after that.

My stomach was grumbling after we met up with my sis, so we bought boiled corn and sat on one of the park benches. There were a lot of people camping and sleeping on the ground but we noticed the group of children beside us. Two were asleep, two were lying down on the ground and the other one was sitting, watching over her siblings. After asking some questions (my mom and I are nosy people Hehehe!), I learned that the oldest child there was a seven-year old girl. With her are four younger brothers and a 5-month old niece. Imagine a girl as young and as scrawny as that little girl with a niece and a huge responsibility to watch over her siblings. She told us she has eight other siblings. My heart was just touched when my mom gave her half-eaten corn to them and the oldest girl shared it with her brothers. I got up and bought them popcorn. After they finished eating, the younger boy told us that he was already full. So my mom told them to drink water and go to sleep. Their mother, older brother and older sister are somewhere in the park selling candies and other stuff for their income.

I got home exhausted. I've been to the extremes that day-- the rich and happy-looking people in Makati and the not-so-rich in Luneta. After that, I feel so ashamed for having complained that life was so unfair for me. Now, I will still complain... LIFE IS SO UNFAIR! This time, it's not for me, but for them.

No comments: