Friday, February 07, 2003

I have always been a sucker for love songs. I find myself relating to most of them although I don't have the "real" experience to back that up. It seems as if I've been used to singing songs about unrequited love even before I was a teenager. For me, it's a part of my reality. It's a part of life since being female in a conservative country like the Philippines, women always are the pursued, not the pursuers. So, a person like me, who has no guts in telling a person how I feel and who is afraid of rejection, have accepted the fact that "crushing" on someone is the answer. I don't care whether they also like me or not. I just like them. Period.

Then come a time when I had to become a little braver and faced this guy I really like. It was a tough one but we're friends now and I owe it to my temporary insanity.

Then songs like these are composed. It's ok since I can still imagine myself singing this song while staring at my crush. I just have to change "she" to "he". BUT...if someone sings this song to you...

out of my league (job 40:4,5)
~Stephen Speaks

it's her hair and her eyes today
that just simply take me away
and the feeling that i'm falling further in love
makes me shiver but in a good way
all the times i have sat and stared
as she thoughtfully thumbs through her hair
and she purses her lips, bats her eyes as she plays,
with me sitting there slack-jawed and nothing to say
but i love her with all that i am
and my voice shakes along with my hands
cause i'm speechless to say what i'm feeling today
but i'm out of my league once again
it's a masterful melody when she calls out my name to me
as the world spins around her she laughs, rolls her eyes
and i feel like i'm falling but it's no surprise
that i love her with all that i am
and my voice shakes along with my hands
cause it's frightening to be swimming in this strange sea
but i'd rather be here than on land
and she's all that i see and she's all that i need
and i'm out of my league once again


Just pray... pray hard... that the feeling is mutual. Or else, you'll be torn. Trust me.

No comments: