Monday, December 23, 2002

The Two Towers: my viewpoints
(A different view from my experience of watching the first movie since I have already read the book this time around.)

I am still overwhelmed with what I witnessed last night. I am trying to gather my thoughts now. I just wanna say that it was great to be sent to a three-hour trip back to Middle-earth again. The one-year wait was worthwhile.

I tried to read the book a few weeks prior to the premiere. I was only halfway through it when I decided, what the heck, the movie would have the most deviations from the book compared to FOTR and ROTK, so why bother? I admit I winced at some scenes and I often catch myself saying, "But... but... it should have been this or that!" But all-in-all, it was a fun experience. I was with my mom and sis but I was also with other TPTS members: Kusangge and Ginny with their friends, Jam and her mom. Honestly, the theater did not offer great sound and pictures. We were also near the screen than I normally would prefer. I plan to watch it in a "better" cinema during the regular screening. But the best thing for me was the fact that I was with a great audience. Great -- means they reacted accordingly (cheer, sneer, laugh, keep silent, tease and all those stuff). I was like, "Oh wow! I am not alone! We think similarly!" I like sitting with people I can give comments to and at the same time, hear comments from. It was A LOT of fun!

There was more action in the movie, as expected and for me, there was no dull moment (except some Arwen "creeping" for Aragorn scenes). The movie depicted the change I expected from the characters. Aragorn is already becoming a leader as their journey continues, even with the appearance of Gandalf the White. He has two ladies this time... Merry and Pippin are not the "comic reliefs" anymore since they're undergoing a great task with Treebeard and the ents. Somehow, Gimli provided the funny quips. Some may don't like that but it was fine for me. I still have deep respect for the Dwarf and those instances seem to ease the tension. Yes, this movie brings more tension than ever since some scenes show exaggeration than what was written in the book, but then I think it was effective in putting people, especially non-readers, in the edge of their seats. Gimli's friendship with Legolas develops. I wished they focused more on the elf-dwarf rivalry in the first movie. Legolas seems to be more solemn. I love the moves! The skateboard thing wasn't that great but I think the slow motion of him mounting Arod is sooo cool! Frodo and Sam are still as weary as ever. Although they didn't have much screening time, I think PJ just wanted to focus more on men and the battle scenes. I still love the scenery (although most of the land are barren and dry) and the music! Helms Deep and the Dead Marshes are just what I imagined when I read the book.

Treebeard was ok but I kinda hoped to see Quckbeam. I imagined ents to be fatter or rounder. I didn't like the Merry-and-Pippin-seeing-Gandalf scene since I couldn't see the reason why he should show himself to them at that time. The wargs and oliphaunts are cool too. The horses are beautiful and I love Shadowfax. Like the first movie, I think the actors fit to their repective roles perfectly. Eowyn, Theoden (best supporting actor nominee?), Eomer and Grima (yes, he was scary and manipulative as what the book said. What's with the tear rolling down his cheek when the ents attack Isengard? ). Like many, I was also disappointed with the portrayal of Faramir. I mean, he is my fave human in the book. I admire Faramir and his inner strength to fight the power of the Ring and they just showed another Boromir. It's ok, at least he still "saved himself" in the end. Can Elrond and Galadriel communicate mentally? Elrond was kinda scary and with the pressure he's putting on Arwen, he struck me as a father wanting the love of his daughter only for himself. Or I might be mistaken... I appreciate the inserts of Arwen and Aragorn showing what was written in the Appendix but I think they had too much kissing scenes (Hehehe!) The continuity of their kissing scene and Aragorn kissing Brego in reality was funny. I mean, imagine movie Arwen as a horse. Hahahaha!

More screen time sana for Eomer, Gandalf the White and Saruman. I mean, where was the Grima-throwing-the-palantir scene?! But then they had enough time to make Haldir's death more dramatic. Don't get me wrong, since I'm no purist, I like the thought of elves in Helms Deep. It made the battle more exciting.

My last comment is my fave character in TTT, Gollum. It wasn't what I imagine him. Even if I had glimpses of the creature during the first movie, they did good. I mean, I love the facial expressions, acting (Stinker and Slinker), lines (remember the time when he was catching fish in the Forbidden Pool and the time he argued with Sam about potatoes)... he can win "Best Computer-generated Actor" if there was an award for that! There were Stinker-and-Slinker scenes in the book that would make me pity him, BUT the movie did more. They depicted the "shizophrenic" moments in a funny but clear way. It helped me understood why he was torn, why Frodo gave him a chance, why Samwise couldn't trust him, why he was pitiful, at the same time, bad to the bonessss... He was CUTE! Hahaha! I like the scenes when he and Samwise would quarrel. Makes me think of an idea for another Cassie Claire diary entry. Hehehehe!

Although some characters spoke another character's line, or they were supposed to show that scene or that scene was supposed to be in ROTK, I think I would still watch and watch and watch The Two Towers.

No comments: